For those who don’t know, I’ve had a work in progress novel going for over a year now, and I have lost all enthusiasm for writing it. What was once a joyful wander through uncharted creative waters has since turned into a joyless sink-hole of a chore that I struggle to wade through.
It started just over a year ago, with my first ever National novel Writing Month. Something which I’m sure a fair few of you are doing this year. Now, as far as the planning went I seemed to do OK, even the word count wasn’t really that much of a problem as work was a little thin on the ground and I found I had a lot more spare time.
It was only when NaNoWriMo finished, and I attempted to read through the drivel that I had written that I realised that I not only needed to finish the novel but also do a hell of a lot of editing. After about two or three months of weird and confusing editing I had to come to terms with the fact that I would have to start again, the damage was too ingrained for me to be able to rectify it. The most logical thing to do was to start again, re-plan and re-write it from scratch.
I think this is where my problem is. When you first write your draft one (or draft zero, if you prefer) you are filled with energy and enthusiasm, anything can happen. You’re confident and wild horses can’t keep you away from your keyboard. The trouble is that this is not my first go, so I don’t have any of that initial excitement. Everything seems old and, quite frankly boring.
I have heard in so many places that you should always complete a novel and that it’s important to not be tempted into writing something else, because otherwise you’ll just never go back to it and it starts this horrible pattern of having several hundred started novels but nothing that is anywhere near publishable.
So, what do you think I should do?
- Should I just give up the ghost and start something new altogether?
- Work on a smaller side project, something like a collection of short stories to bring the enthusiasm back.
- Just keep going, if so how do I make it enjoyable for me again.
I’m looking for help people, don’t let me down… 🙂
- NaNoWriMo got me started but… (bcsirrom.wordpress.com)
- The Beginner’s Guide To Succeeding at National Novel Writing Month (quirkybooks.wordpress.com)
- The Worst Writing From “National Novel Writing Month” (thoughtcatalog.com)
- Progress on My Work in Progress (maasmith.com)
- Slow Progress is Progress (feliciamaystevenson.blogspot.com)
- Work In Progress Challenge (clairegillian.com)