It has been near-as-dammit one month since I wrote my objectives for 2013, a relatively long list of thirty-four things that I had to achieve before the fireworks went off for 2014’s New Year. These updates did use to be quarterly, but I figured the longer it is between the updates the more likely it is that time will just run away with me. So monthly updates it is then…
If you want to refresh yourself with my targets you can look here, if you have memorized them all then you don’t need to check but that is one scarily-high level of commitment for minor details you have there. You’re not the one going through my bins at the dead of night are you…?
Hmm anyway, as far as my objectives go I haven’t done too bad. Don’t get me wrong I could have done a hell of a lot worse but for the opening month of 2013 a few things got done.
- 25 personally taken images for Image catalogue
- 4 piece of Flash Fiction
- Completed Assignment 4 for writing course
- Began planning collection of short stories.
- I’m finding time to read again…
I know, I know it’s not a lot. In fact if you boiled all that down to actual work you get something stupid like 250 words a day. However, this is not going to be a mopey post. I’m actually proud of a few things this month, level of work not withstanding. I now have a writing schedule. Each month I look forward and plan the writing that is to be done on each day. 75% of my days are filled with an actual activity, while the remaining 25% are what I call overflow days. Basically, If for whatever reason I do not do the designated writing then it can be done on the next designated overflow day.
This system was implemented about ten days ago and so far I have done everything I wanted on each day, so yay for me.
I am most excited about my new short story writing project. Without giving away too much it is a collection of short stories with each story revolving around a current and well-used ‘system’. I’m still working out the why’s and wherefore’s and there’s a bit of world (well city) building, but everything is pretty exciting. The original novel is still being worked on, but I need something to get my creative juices going, and figured short stories were the way forward.
So looking forward into February, I really need to errr… ‘pull the lead out’ as they say. There has still been far too much procrastination, far too much gaming rather than writing and far too many excuses. So “Bad Jim. Naughty Jim. In your bed! On your rug!” That was me scolding myself, and yes it is a little strange.
Did you set yourself any targets, objectives or achievements for this year? How are you doing?
- January Updates (escapismproject.wordpress.com)