Right, well today’s daily prompt is pretty interesting, so much so that I’m going to do it even though I’m a day late.
“You get to spend a day inside your favorite movie. Tell us which one it is — and what happens to you while you’re there.”
Right, well my favourite film is Silent Hill, which for all those not aware of it is a kind of horror movie based on the famous survival horror video games of the same name. The games are cram packed full of bizarre imagery, and the film isn’t any different.
It’s difficult to quickly describe the plot of a Silent Hill, so I’ll half-inch this brief synopsis from Wikipedia.
“The film follows Rose, who takes her adopted daughter Sharon to the town of Silent Hill, for which Sharon cries while sleepwalking. Arriving at Silent Hill, Rose is involved in a car accident and awakens to find Sharon missing; while searching for her daughter, she fights a local cult while uncovering Sharon’s connection to the town’s past.”
That in itself isn’t scary but when the sirens blare in Silent Hill, darkness takes over the town with most of its previous inhabitants now twisted into horrible creations by their earthly wrongs.
Creations such as these…
Right, now I think I’ve set the scene pretty well, I can answer the question. What happens to me while I’m there?
Well, I think that pretty much depends on why I’m there.
If I’m the main character in the film, then I would likely either be suffering from large scale psychosis or I would in fact be dead (or soon be) or in another plane of existence, as this tends to be the theme in both the games and the movies (sorry, maybe I should have said Spoiler alert) So, in that case I would either realise that I’m having a psychological breakdown, or I would continue on completely unaware that everything around me is an afterlife fabrication.
If I’m not the main character, then things may not be as rosy. Yes, that’s right the above was the rosy option.
Everyone else is either a monster, which in this case is normally someone who died in Silent Hill but ultimately was not a very nice person when they were alive or they’re an over-zealous religious hypocrite who burns children to ‘cleanse’ them of evil.
I know, it’s not the easiest choice in the world, and out of desperation you’re probably thinking that being a religious over-zealous hypocrite has to better than being a monster right. Well, the zealots do all die from being torn apart by barbed wire just to help muddy the water somewhat.
I think it’s fairly safe to say, that I wouldn’t want to be in Silent Hill under any circumstances.
- Silent Hills judgment video is positively horrifying (blacxbox.com)
- SNEAK PEEK: Silent Hill Downpour: Anne’s Story #2 (majorspoilers.com)
- Kojima Releases First Teaser for Silent Hills (dreadcentral.com)
- Spooky Games: Silent Hill (confidentgamers.com)
- [Exclusive Preview] “Silent Hill: Downpour: Anne’s Story” # 2 (bloody-disgusting.com)
- This Silent Hill Theme Cover Sets The Mood For Halloween (gamebreaker.tv)
- Silent hill review by Nina and Alicia (fitness-digest.com)
- Look behind you: A history of Silent Hill [Part 2] (shacknews.com)
- The TGS 2014 Silent Hills trailer doesn’t excite me like I wish it would (technologytell.com)
- Silent Hills To Be Released Episodically? (playstationgang.com)